Thursday, June 5, 2008

oh to have a box

Sometimes I think I need to grow up and stop reading this site, other times I realize that if a website can make me laugh just about every time I read it, it's probably a good thing. I don't think we laugh enough.

On the subject of the picture though. I don't know about other cities, but the homeless people here generally don't live in boxes. They might put some cardboard on the ground if they were going to be sleeping outside, but generally the idea of "living in a box" just isn't reality; at least around here. Part of that I suppose is our climate. The face of homelessness looks very different in a place that doesn't get to -40C and have 2 feet of snow.

There are so many stereotypes about homeless people and the more time I spend with them, the more I realize that while some are totally justified, most aren't true at all. For example, you would be very surprised at the number of people who leave our shelter each morning to go to work. But, myths are stories for other posts, and I should get off my bed and do something...maybe. The rumor that I have a hard time with mornings, is definitely based in fact.

No comments: