Thursday, June 5, 2008

juxtiposition of reality

I don't think I ever wrote about this, and I was definitely planning to. It happened when I was sick last week, and so I think sleep was the most prevalent thing on my mind at the time.

It amazes me the vast differences that occur inside a city. Where I work is the "worst" part of town. Where I live, is the "trendy" area, but you'll always see street kids, pan handlers and people camping by the River. It's an awesome place to live. Side by side the street kids are more well off people walking to the expensive Sushi places and college students shopping at the boutiques. Older people live in the high rises and condos along the river and med students study in the Second Cup. It's sort of mish-mash of people and cultures, and I love it. This is my reality.

Last week after working a night shift I went to deliver fliers for my church. It was gorgeous day out and I was happy to be "free". As I walked and prayed, I took notice of the area and atmosphere around me. It was so...different. There were so few people out. The houses all had alarms and sturdy doors. Big houses, big cars, perfect landscaping. And it was so quiet. I watched 3 little blond girls riding their tricycles in the street while mom did some gardening. I watched contractors putting on a new deck. And it all just seemed surreal.

I am always the first one to say that not everyone has gifts to work with the homeless or in the inner city. I'm the first one to say I'm not anymore special then anyone else because of what I do. But this version of reality just sort of struck me last me. Something I like to ignore. Which is funny, because most people try to ignore my reality, of homelessness, poverty, addictions and unwashed flesh, and here I am, trying to forget the fact that people live in such affluence. It doesn't make sense. I'm not sure quite why my mind is set that way, I don't normally think about it in these terms. But it's true. I try and ignore the fact that there are people with money residing only kilometers away from people who have nothing. Maybe it's the only way I can live with myself and the world.

No comments: