Thursday, July 3, 2008

Oh Canada!


Canada Day was July 1st. I worked days, so I really didn't have the energy to write anything fun. So today, you get to learn all sorts of crazy fun facts you don't actually care about relating to Canada, the place I live, and the place I love (how corny is that). But truly, I can't see myself ever living anywhere else!

  • With 9,971,000 square kilometers of area, Canada is the second largest country in the world, behind Russia.
  • The glove for baseball was invented in Canada in 1883.
  • With only 3 people per sq. km, Canada has the fourth lowest population density in the world.
  • With 243,000 kms of shore, Canada has the longest coastline in the world.
  • Canada also has the smallest jail of the world in Rodney, Ontario. It covers area of 24.3 sq. mtrs (about 270 sq ft).
  • Canada has the highest quality of life in the world, as per the United Nations Human Development Index.
  • Toronto is the largest city of Canada. It’s home to more than 5 million people and its dwellers are known to hold more university educations than any country in the world.
  • Canada economy is the ninth biggest economy of the world.
  • Opposing the popular opinion, Canada doesn’t own the North Pole. Indeed, the North Pole is not owned by any country.
  • Santa Claus is believed to be from Canada.
  • Canada is the eighth biggest trader in the world. Amidst all producers of natural gas, copper, zinc, nickel, aluminum, and gold in the world, Canada comes in the top five.
  • Many great inventions, like basketball, the electric light bulb, the electric range, the electron microscope, standard time, the television, the telephone, and the zipper, took birth in Canada.
  • Canada is also known to be the fifth largest energy producer; it provides electricity to the U.S. too.
  • Canada has the highest tertiary education enrolment in the world.
So there you have it (source). Silly facts about Canada.

For real though. I love living here. I love public health care and low population density. That being said, I live in one of the most densely populated areas in Canada. I love our democratic structure. I even, like snow, although don't tell me that when it's -40!

Happy Birthday Canada!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of interesting facts about Canada! Thanks for that. I have very fond memories of Canada - I spent a few interesting winter (I know, it was a stupid time to go but it was cheaper!) travelling from Montreal to Vancouver and back again via lots of different places! I can still bore people for hours with my stories about my travels in Canada! Anyway, hope you had a good day - ever since I was there, I promised myself that one day I'd visit in the summertime!

Anonymous said...

I should have said 'a few weeks' not a few winters!

Awake and Dreaming said...

lol, I wondered about that. That's awesome! I have never been to Montreal, just the airport. Someday, I will go.

Summer, where I live, is HOT, and winter is COLD. Come in the Spring or Fall, it's just better that way!

Anonymous said...

Nice article. I really didn't know many of those facts! Canada is a wonderful country and I think we are also popular in the rest of the world...
I just wonder, for how long more will be our health care in top positions of "why I love Canada" lists. I think some decline is visible and I believe we should act now, before it's too late. As a Toronto life insurance broker I am naturally fan of private insurance - there should be at least option for the people. It's really a shame to transport critically ill people to USA. The system needs some cleaning and better aimed funds!
Take care!
Lorne