Wednesday, February 11, 2009

unexpected lessons

I have this thing when I'm shift manager.  I won't ask someone to do something that I'm unwilling to do myself.  That means that when it comes to the things I don't want to do most, unless there's someone else who wants to do them, I have to do them myself (except of course that time with the sour milk, but I just can't do sour milk, i can't, can't, can't).  Therefore when the person in detox called me and asked for a female to come unplug the girls toilet, off I went.  I really couldn't pawn that off on the other girl there... 

See the problem however, was that I've never unplugged a toilet in my life... I used a plunger, once, on a sink... I think?  So realistically, I had no idea what I was doing.  My coworker informed that I just needed to "stick it in there and push it up and down"... I tried, but I couldn't even make it move.  Thankfully, one of the female clients knew just what to do.  She came in and somehow it magically worked.  The plunger went up and down, then she flushed, and just like that, the toilet was working again.  I thanked her profusely.  

And so, thanks to work, I now know how to unclog a toilet.  I'm thinking of buying a plunger.  I'm not sure how I've been blessed with clog free plumbing for so long, but the luck will run out some time, and I'd like to be prepared, because somehow I don't think the Sophie cat will be much help.  

sometimes life lessons come in the strangest forms at the strangest times... 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a brief mental image of Sophie helping there.. made me giggle - but I like the attitude of not asking someone to do something you aren't prepared to do yourself. I think it's why I am so glad I did years of hands-on care work. I think it has been massively useful in my work.

Tanya said...

See? Who says social work isn't versatile? Although, admittedly there can be some crappy aspects to it.

David G. Markham said...

Ahhh, the things you learn being a Social Worker.......

Great story, thanks for sharing...

All the best

David Markham