Monday, August 11, 2008

on going chronicles of my life

I am SO sick right now, I can't even begin to describe it. I had to call in sick to work, which I've never done... in my life. It looks really bad too, because I just had the weekend off, and I have tomorrow off, and it was my birthday yesterday. Everyone probably thinks I was hung over, but I didn't even drink!

My city has this number where you can phone and talk to a nurse and then they'll help you decide if you should wait, see a doctor, go to the hospital or call an ambulance. I had a really good experience with them, so I decided I'd call again this morning.

On top of the flu symptoms, my neck is really sore, so she sent me off to ER at a trot. Don't drive yourself, get in right away, don't go to urgent care, hospital! So I called my pastor, who drove me over and hung out for a while wilst I felt sorry for myself and sick. All I wanted to do was LIE DOWN, and you can't do that. I've never been to a hospital before, except to pick up/drop off people. Then I'm there all the time.

After three hours (which is quite short all things considered) I saw the nurse practitioner for three minutes. I have the flu, and probably slept funny on my neck, and who knows why I was throwing up. In any case, I'm "fine" and I just need to take some gravol and some pain killers and try and sleep it off. Right now I'm trying to drink lots of fluids and take it easy. We'll see how it goes. At this moment I have no energy or motivation to do anything anyway. I'm not even bored, and I'm so sick I can't read.

I'm sure I'll be over it soon, but until then, yaaaaay for the awesome nurses and nurse practitioner who took time to calm me down while I was freaking out about meningitus. I cried the whole was through triage, but the nurse was really good. yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yuck - how horrible :( Take care and don't go back to work until you are sure you're better!

Herman said...

Sounds awful. Glad you are starting to feel better