Sunday, April 19, 2009

antibiotics and yuck

I don't like antibiotics.  I think they're a wonderful invention, I totally agree that their lifesaving.  I also think they're over prescribed, and generally, they don't make me the world's healthiest person (I tend to get stomach side effects of varying forms and severity).  That all said, I've now been on antibiotics for 17 days straight, and I'M STILL NOT BETTER!  

You've probably noticed that I've got down on my blogging, and it's because I've just been too sick.  What I initially thought was going to be strep throat again turned out to be a sinus infection...or shall I say, assumed sinus infection, because the doctors haven't x-rayed my head to look for it, just treated me based on my symptoms.  Which is fine and dandy considering I've had them before.  BUT, I should be better.  I'm on my second round of antibiotics, and I really don't feel much better.  Yes, the fever's gone, but seriously, my ears hurt SO much.  After some research, I've discovered that it's the tubes in my ears, reacting to the pressure in my sinuses.  Basically, it's like I'm on an airplane which is taking off and taking off and taking off with no escape.  I catch myself sitting at my desk and pulling at my ears like a little kid with an earache.  Bah. Humbug. 

Not all is bad though.  My new job is going well.  I'm still kind of bored, but more stuff will come.  I'm co-facilitating two groups/classes next week, and I did my first solo intake on Friday.  I have supervision Monday (yes, that's right, we actually meet with our supervisor on a regular basis, as a requirement).  And, I get to take a workshop in June which work is paying for!!  It's going to be SO much easier to get my continuing ed hours when work actually lets me take work time for it!  Besides all that, my coworkers like Sushi, which just makes the whole world better for me!  


EDIT:  So, I tried the neti pot.  Interesting, interesting, interesting.  I'm not sure I did it for long enough on each side, but I'm going to try again tomorrow.  Anything to get rid of the ear aches, and I'm all about the more natural and tried and true ways (as in, neti pots were used for hundreds of years before the invention of antibiotics). 

7 comments:

talesofacrazypsychmajor said...

have you tried a neti pot? It seems really strange. I just heard of them recentlly, but they've been getting a lot of good press. But my roommate was having awful lingering sinus problems and she says it helped her a ton.
I hate taking anti-biotics too. I've been prescribed them so many time for things I'm really not 100% sure needed them.

Awake and Dreaming said...

honestly, that's my next stop/plan. My best friend had some luck with one, and I've been thinking about it a lot lately. The whole water in my nose thing just freaks me out though... but if this keeps up with my ears, I'm SO there.

Anonymous said...

My husband also started using a neti-pot after his last set of sinus issues and it made a huge difference for him...now he uses it even if he just has a minor cold.

Awake and Dreaming said...

perhaps i'll be purchasing one of these sooner rather then later...

AuntE said...

What works for me is a sinus decongestant - yes for my ears. I have had this kind of problem many times as an adult. Forget about the horrible earaches I had as a child - that's a different story. I've had sinus infections so bad that when I bent over to tie my shoe, I felt like someone was jamming screwdrivers into my ears! Not fun!
(That's an understatement...) But the sinus decongestants DO help as ears, nose and throat are all connected. Hope you get some relief soon!

Anonymous said...

If you can't get on with a neti pot, try buying from Pharmart or Shoppers DrugMart this product: http://www.neilmed.com/can/index.php It's basically a neti pot with premade up sachets of stuff to add to the water. I love it and I'm a yoga teacher! Before that, when I used a neti pot I could never get the right amount of salt in the water and also used to end up with a stinging nose! Neilmed sinus rinse was actually recommended to my husband by an ENT surgeon following surgery for a broken nose and he loves it too (and wouldn't have considered doing this before). If you can't get on with Neilmed there is another product made by another company which uses very cold water in an aerosol form I think - I've seen it advertised but can't recall what the brand is. But give Neilmed a try - I've found it great to use. Hope this helps :)

Awake and Dreaming said...

my neti pot is one of the Neil Med ones! So far, going well, I'm not completely sold on it, but I'm not totally turned off of it either. We'll have to see how things go.