Thursday, July 31, 2008

purging - the good kind

Along with packing, comes purging; it's awesome. I'm getting rid of SO MUCH STUFF. Because I'm not in a huge hurry, I'm being picky about what goes where, but I'm definitely, definitely cutting back. I can't even begin to explain how good it feels. You probably don't care about this, but it's my life right now.

For starters, there's the stuff I'm giving to work. That's old summer clothes, some winter jackets for the basement, a bunch of socks (more on that later), practical stuff. Then, there's the stuff for the thrift store. Things: spare christmas stocking, cassette tapes etc... I'm also giving them some of my less practical clothes like a fancy dress I wore to my grade 10 Christmas banquet back when I still did gymnastics and was about 10 sizes smaller. Then there's the recycling, and finally, the garbage. And it's sickening how much garbage roommate and I are finding. She's contributing to all the other piles too of course.

Our caretaker informed me today that as our "decision" to move out or not must be made tomorrow, she is starting showing our apartment on Friday. Thankfully roommate and I had today off (a rare thing to occur at the same time) and were already cleaning when I found this news out. We are SO not impressed. Our apartment = disaster zone. Seriously, it's like something exploded. The purging helps with the cleaning. If it's gone, I don't have to clean it, pack it, or find a place for it. And it just feels SO good.

I even managed to get rid of a garbage bag and a half of stuffed animals. Half are going to the thrift store, the other half to the garbage can. This was a big step for me. I've sort of been clinging to those. Of course, I still have quite a few, but it's a start.

The plan for tomorrow is that I'm going to sleep ALL day (I start nights tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!). Roommate will wake me up when she comes home, and we'll get chinese food and CLEAN! Half the thrift store stuff is already in the car, and she can help me car the rest of the work and thrift store stuff. Even if I don't drop it off till Friday, at least it won't be in the house anymore!!!

I haven't even started on the storage locker yet....

No comments: